The Ultimate Field Guide for larger Southern African Mammals is a scientific breakthrough in species identification.
The Ultimate Field Guide now gives nature lovers a colorful and graphical field guide in the form of an electronic book that can be used on PC, tablet or mobile.
Unique, world-first identification keys
- identify a mammal with the Silhouette Identification Key
- identify a mammal with the Track Identification Key
- identify a mammal with the Dung Identification Key
Detailed species information
- Full-color photographs
- SCI and Rowland Ward minimums and maximums
- Afrikaans, Zulu, Shona and Tswana species names
- Quick reference conservation and activity icons
- Species description
- Visible Male/Female Differences
- Habitat and Distribution
- Behavior and habits
- Front and hind species tracks
- Dung photographs for easy identification
- Field Sign
- Find all mammal species endemic to an area in the whole Southern Africa with the Distribution Matrix
Experience the haunting sounds of Africa. Hear the jackal in the distance, the magnificent roar of the lion and the nerve-racking trumpeting of the elephant.
Animal sounds include The Lesser and Thick-tailed Bushbaby, Tree Squirrel, Honey Badger, Large Spotted Genet, Yellow Mongoose, Banded Mongoose, Suricate, Tree- and Yellow-spot Hyrax, Klipspringer, Bushbuck, Reedbuck, Mountain Reedbuck, Springbuck, Impala, Blue Wildebeest, Kudu, Buffalo, Burchell’s Zebra, Vervet Monkey, Baboon, Wild Dog, Cape Fox, Black-backed Jackal, Bat-eared fox, Side-striped Jackal, Spotted Hyena, Lion, Leopard, Cheetah, Black and White Rhinoceros, Hippopotamus and Elephant.
Advanced search function
Detailed information instantly with the sophisticated search function. A gold mine of information with 5,000 hyperlinks for cross-reference.
Easy to use
The Ultimate Field Guide is based on web conventions. If you are at this page you can use The Ultimate Field Guide. Available for PC, Laptop and mobile devices